It is true that ICT can really enhance the teaching and learning experience for both the student and teacher. However when access to these facilities is denied, or the resources are not available, are some teachers and students falling behind when it comes to ICT? Will the lack of ICT facilities in some schools, and proliferation in others, create a system of 'winners and losers' when it comes to ICT?
In my recent placement it has become very apparent that there is considerably less access to ICT facilities compared to that of my previous placement. This gap in facilities probably has something to do with one being a government school and the other a non government, or perhaps it does not. Maybe it is how the school is choosing to allocate it's funding that is causing the gap? Whatever the reason for the lack of facilities it has impacted on the way that I deliver lessons. Last semester PowerPoint was law and this semester I will need to find something that I feel is as effective in the classroom. Watch this space...
In my recent placement it has become very apparent that there is considerably less access to ICT facilities compared to that of my previous placement. This gap in facilities probably has something to do with one being a government school and the other a non government, or perhaps it does not. Maybe it is how the school is choosing to allocate it's funding that is causing the gap? Whatever the reason for the lack of facilities it has impacted on the way that I deliver lessons. Last semester PowerPoint was law and this semester I will need to find something that I feel is as effective in the classroom. Watch this space...
You make a good point Janell. The issue of equity is inavoidable when we discuss the use of ICT in education. For some schools, it may simply not be an option to have a laptop/iPad per student. I feel I do have to point out though, that in my experience, owning the resources does not immediately equate to effective use of the resources. The school that I am at now has a Smartboard in all the new classrooms. In the few days that I have been there, I have yet to see one of them being used.
ReplyDeleteI think ICT can only advance education in so far as it is employed effectively, if indeed it is used.
Just my little thoughts. :)